Important change of date
To accommodate those who could not make it on Tuesdays in the Autumn Term, Spring Term TDC Lunchtime Sessions will take place on Wednesdays 1pm-2pm
"The future is like a corridor into which we can see only by the light coming from behind.” Edward Weyer Jr., anthropologist
All academics are experts in the past and present of their subject. But can you hazard a prediction for what you might be teaching and researching in 2025? This series looks at the skills of future foresight and invites your own predictions.
In Spring 2013 the TDC asks colleagues to peer ahead a dozen years and think about the year 2025. What will your discipline look like in twelve years’ time? Whether your subject area is Law, Computer Science, Healthcare, English, Design, Social Work or anything else we teach or research at DMU, each will undoubtedly be different in 2025. What will be the problems, issues and opportunities facing it in 2025? What will the campus itself look like? We invite your predictions.
We will audio-record each session and create a website where your predictions will be saved for posterity.
How to offer a talk
Please share your own thoughts about the future by offering a 30 minute talk or workshop including at least one prediction for 2025. For example, you might look at:
- what are the burning issues in your field now?
- what do you predict they will be in 2025?
- what difficulties have you faced in predicting the future of your subject?
- what measurable prediction(s) can you make about your field in 2025?
Not sure how to approach it? Take a look at some of these websites for inspiration:
- EU Commission 'Our World in 2025' http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=newsalert&lg=en&year=2009&na=na-230909
- European Ideas Network 'The World in 2025' http://www.europeanideasnetwork.com/files/2025_en.pdf
- Sunday Telegraph at 50: what will the world be like in another 50 years? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sunday-telegraph-at-50/8306153/Sunday-Telegraph-at-50-what-will-the-world-be-like-in-another-50-years.html
- Arup Foresight
- Main page http://www.driversofchange.com/
- Campus of the Future http://www.driversofchange.com/make/research/campus-of-the-future/
- Institute for the Future (IFTF)
- Main page http://www.iftf.org/home/
- Map of the Decade http://www.iftf.org/our-work/global-landscape/ten-year-forecast/2012-map-of-the-decade/
- Learning http://www.iftf.org/our-work/global-landscape/learning/
- The Long Now Foundation http://longnow.org/
- KnowledgeWorks Forecast 3.0, Recombinant Education: Regenerating the Learning Ecosystem http://knowledgeworks.org/futures-thinking
- The RSA http://www.thersa.org/events/video/vision-videos/how-to-change-the-future
- Thinking Futures: Higher Education disrupting... http://thinkingfutures.net/higher-education-disrupting/